Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Flying

It happened.  Sometime, in the middle of last week when my family and I were living in self imposed isolation, stricken with multiple communicable illnesses...fall came.  Typical of this last year, I was so busy with life, I almost missed it.  It almost came without me noticing the new chill in the morning (and Lord knows I was up in the mornings.)  Without noticing the crunchy leaves on my deck, just a few, but crunchy leaves non the less. Thankfully I opened my pink eyes long enough one hectic morning last weekend to notice my breath in the air.  OH JOY!!  Though short lived, that lovely encounter with my favorite season helped shake me out of my sick coma and muster the strength to adorn my house with my favorite rust colored table cloth, fall runners, wooden pumpkin crate candles and of course...pumpkins.  Typically this is a family event, a ritual in which I beg everyone to indulge me my cheesy moment and they pretend it's a pain...but they love it.  Witness their sadness this year as they all stumbled out of their sick beds only to realize the job was done:( 

The coming of fall is still very subtle, leaves are yellow/green and just starting to curl up, there are still days that come dangerously close to 70 degrees and I still haven't made it to the dry cleaners to pick up my fall coats.  Today I needed a coat for the first time and was absolutely giddy putting on my brown corduroy coat.  It doesn't take much to send me right into happy time orbit.

 Everyone in my house went to a place today for the first time in a week.  A school or work, daycare or even just to our home office.   They got out of bed, bathed themselves, put on sterilized clothing and left the house.  What soldiers.  And we're moving....
We're watching football...in our diapers.
We ventured out to a wonderful fall wedding...
Daddy taught Liam to fly...
Do you think he is saying "I am I am I am superman, and I can do anything."
Beautiful friends.

Liam loved the wedding dance.  The enormous checkerboard dance floor, the endless bass beats and a gaggle of little girls in pretty dresses.  He was a dancing machine.
And talk about your perfect Sundays.  Lots of chill'n with Grandma.
  And firefighting with Grandpa. 
And on the way home we stopped at every tomato stand, every pumpkin patch and every apple orchard.  It took us twice as long to get home, but we took in a full fall Sunday, complete with listening to the game on scratchy am radio all the way home.  And there is still so much more to come!


No comments:

ShareThis