Wednesday, March 23, 2011

so what? I'm still a rock star...I've got my rock moves.

Our life, is always full of things to do or places to go. And the doing and going is great, we love it.  But some of the daily doing feels like mindless movement, lacking creativity or inspiration. But you do them because there has to be some kind of order to life, predictability for small people.  Like...that there will be clean underwear on Mondays, chores after school, homework hour after dinner, dog poop pickup every other day.   Zzzzzz, but necessary.  That is the mom stuff that, for me was learned. It did not come naturally.   Poor Autumn was my guinea pig and it took a few years for me to feel comfortable with predictability and routine.  It still feels like an itchy wool sweater in the summer, but I get it, it must be done.


I also made a classic rookie mom move...I over corrected.  For a second, I was all work and no play and too many parenting books and too many doctors.  Not nearly enough following my mom gut, my mom instinct. The one that told me my girls were mystical creatures, capable of magic.  What a waste of a couple of years.  Slowly I abandoned what didn't feel right to me and kept bits that felt like decent suppliments to my own momma style. And now...with the exception of the aforementioned ho hum "have toos" we pretty much rock some other routines that really matter.  Like chili and cilantro rice every Sunday, weekend morning dance parties, early morning donut runs, barefoot walks in the mud, singing in the rain, sleepovers always needing walking tacos, black nail polish and musical beds for cuddle time.


And the other morning, when I plopped down at my desk with some coffee, long before the sun or my family rose, I was greeted with proof positive that I must be doing a decent job:





There it is.  That is all I need...I'm done:)


For the record I happen to think my kids rock pretty hard too.





Even when they are sick and sleepy, which he has been for weeks now.








Poor baby can't stay awake...during the day.  But at night, oh hell yeah.


Even falling asleep in the shower.  Poor baby boy.

Another momma thing I realized about myself, well into this gig, is that I want to carry the torch of tradition for our family.  I know it's fairly cool to shed the corny traditions of grandparents and parents, but I happen to love the corn.  I'm currently in a mad dash to make sure I perfect the German dishes Grandma makes, can sew a kick ass apron, make enough canned goods for my family to use all winter (have not achieved that yet as I keep getting talked into giving things to poor souls who haven't yet discovered the joy of canning) and keeping a spider plant alive long enough to get those awesome spider baby balls that become plants themselves.  I swear my Grandma has a spider plant older than me.


Kuchen.
Thou shall not covet thy neighbor's kuchen.  
Fondue.  NOT a German tradition, but fast becoming a tradition in our "Brosin" family.

Chicken and dumpling soup.



And just for good measure...a little sushi party with the Schapekams.  I know, there is so much that is confusing about that and I was skeptical myself.  Sushi...in New Ulm...in a home...made by a bunch of Germans.  I'm happy to report it was a hoot to make and a delight to eat (no raw fish ...smart move.) Plus, you gotta love big guys in flannel and stocking caps rolling sushi...you have to.








I believe you also have to love vintage toys at Grandmas.
Think these are old enough to have lead in the paint?  That's the only thing messing with my deep deep love for these.


and toddlers who can't stand to be held even for a second.  Especially not for a photo. 



And who love love love Sammy Jammies as after school car treats.
his bibs..."ready to bounce"  that makes me laugh.



Here is something I do not love. Early spring in the upper midwest. Blech. It's dirty and wet and cold and totally bipolar. Today my mom was in a tornado warning during the day and a blizzard warning after sunset. Dumb.


Hideous.  It looks like a giant ashtray snow cone.



But I want to end on more stuff I do love. One big item in particular.


Unexpected waves of peace.


Like last Wednesday when Brandon sent me a text that simply read "Headed to the airport." And just like that warm, comforting, peace washed over me. He was coming home to us. Nine years together and I still miss him even for the 12 hours we spend apart to work. I've got wicked crush on this guy.





Unexpected waves of peace.


Like it being warm enough on our roadtrip to the sushi party to put my barefeet up for a little minivan tanning session. Toasty.
black nail polish:)



Like looking up because you are annoyed with the sun in your eyes and realizing...holy crap it's the SUN!!!





I want to close with a facebook quote from a dear friend who deserves a giant wave of peace and who knows all too well how long and painful the wait for the sun has been this winter.


"Tis the season of rebirth and new beginnings. Welcome, Vernal Equinox, you have been eagerly awaited!"  Todd Mulvihill

No comments:

ShareThis