Wednesday, November 23, 2011

thanksgiving eve

It feels good to be this tired and know I'm right at the beginning of a 4 day weekend.  And it's the best kind of tired, tuckered out from a hard day at work.  The worst kind of tired is "i cannot stay asleep past 3am" which I did on Monday.  "Hard work" tired = a beer, a night of guiltless blog stalking, carry out food and falling asleep on the couch watching crappy tv.  Ahhhhhh.


But first, a little Thanksgiving bloggity blog.  This year I thought, rather than reflect on the Thanksgiving holiday 3 days from now, when I'm burned out from traveling and all "holiday road trip tired", I would do a little looking ahead...to what is coming.


An early morning departure, to ensure we arrive at the farm by 1pm.  I love getting up early to hit the road.  Since we moved back to South Dakota, I've seen more stunning sunrises than I can remember.  I've stood on the breaks on the highway, jumped out of the van and taken photos about once a week.  It's the same stretch of road every morning and it if you can make a sunrise date, it never fails to deliver.





I can't tell you now much I look forward to these fall weekends at home.  I'm so in love with our house here.  I still super love our home in Minneapolis, but let's face it...it doesn't have a studio like addition with 25 windows.  I open every blind, make tea, fire up the computer and wait for the sun to come up.  So I'm looking forward to a few more of these before this view is blanketed in white.





No snow yet in the tropical southern most tip of South Dakota.  I told my husband winter is weird here, more freezing rain than snow and when the snow comes, it tries to kill you via travel. Then it melts.  And then the freezing rain again and so it goes and so it goes.  So far, just one day of freezing rain.  The rest is still gorgeous fall romps in the leaves. So far.


 
 Remember the wonderful canopy of leaves I wrote about when we first arrived?  The show those trees put on this fall has been pretty incredible.  Walls of leaves almost as tall as Annika, 60 bags worth.  Trying to keep up with the blizzard of fall leaves is futile.  Rather than beat them...we opted to just join them.


And really, that is all one should do in the fall. Work a little, play alot...before winter sets in and things like sewing, art projects and game nights take over. So much to look forward to,but we let's not rush into things, we must stay present so as not to miss a thing.





There just isn't anything more important than your "people", whoever that is for each of us.  And that is what I am most thankful for this year.  My people.  My family people, my work people, my small people, new people, old people.  I need them all and appreciate them all so much.  I appreciate YOU so much.  This little blog hit over 10,500 page views this week...crazy.  


 


I am also thankful for this superman t-shirt. I cannot wash it fast enough.  I would put this on him everyday if it weren't so strange to do so.  What is it about this shirt?  
 


It's time for the "fall asleep on the couch watching deliciously crappy TV" portion of the night.  We never make time to watch TV so when I have this opportunity I relish it!  Here's to hoping there is a marathon of SVU on:)


If you travel tomorrow, I pray you have a safe journey.  Be Thankful, do your best, eat chocolate, laugh, smile, smell the flowers, sip wine, love deeply & bask in the sun.  


XOXOXOXOXO!

No comments:

ShareThis